I see clients struggling with anxiety everyday in my practice. It is one of the most common mental health problems. The good news is, it’s very treatable. Below are some basic ways to reduce anxiety symptoms.
1. Cut down on caffeine (eliminate completely, if you can) – Caffeine is a stimulant that increases anxiety in many people.
2. Exercise – A physical release can decrease stress and muscle tension and increase positive feelings of well-being.
3. See a therapist – An experienced therapist can help you develop and practice behavioral tools to manage anxiety and provide support.
4. Journal – Writing down your thoughts and worries, whether in a formal diary or just jotting things down throughout the day, can declutter your mind and reduce over- thinking.
5. Meditate – Meditation is another fantastic way to calm your mind and body. Many apps are available for simple mediations or progressive relaxation exercises. I suggest trying to start and end your day with a short meditation.
6. Positive self-talk – You can talk your way through anxiety. It helps to decide on 2 or 3 mantras ahead of time and practice them so they come naturally when anxiety strikes. You might try something like, “My anxiety will pass” or “I can remain calm and get through this”.
Sharon C. Martin Psychotherapy and Personal Growth
San Jose, CA