We’re looking for simple ways to increase our happiness. Our morning habits set the tone for the day. Successful, happy people make time for healthy, centering routines to start their day.
- Get up early: I always feel better when I get up earlier. I seem to get more done all day long.
- Exercise: Exercising in the morning ramps up our metabolism and gets the endorphins flowing early. Exercising can be energizing as well.
- Eat (a healthy) breakfast: Your body needs fuel after fasting all night. While you’re at it, drink some water too.
- Don’t overdo the caffeine: Too much coffee will contribute to a mid-morning slump and can increase anxiety for some.
- Listen to music (not the news): News is a downer. Put on something upbeat or soothing to get you in a positive mood and avoid unnecessary stress.
- Plan your day: Set goals, review your schedule, and get organized.
- Tackle the most difficult tasks first: We typically have the most energy and focus early in the day. Use it to get the most challenging projects done in the morning.
- Practice gratitude: Again, focusing on the positives of your life help us think positively and feel better.
- Have time for quiet (this might include meditation, journaling, reading): This sets a peaceful tone, rather than a rushed start to the day.
I’m a big believer in moderation. You do not need to implement all of these morning habits. Assess where you are currently at with your morning routine. Then choose one new morning habit that appeals to you and begin to implement it. After several weeks, this habit will be established and you can add in another new morning habits if you like.
Please sign up for our Grow Happiness mailing list for more tips and articles to increase your happiness.
Some wonderful habits to start! Will start making some changes!
i need to sort out our mornings. I home educate and despite waking early (around 6am) we’re lucky to be dressed by 10am! I need to shake things up I think! Thanks for the post 🙂
Number 1&2 definitely make a huge difference to my day. Not too sure I’m ready to give up my coffee just as yet:-)
I’m not giving up coffee either! I just try to keep it to one cup. 🙂
Great blog.. especially the bit about moderation and only implementing one change.. thank you for the inspiration.
What a great post, I’m an early bird and love the quietness of a 5am start. We started gratitude diaries earlier this year perhaos its time to revisit, thank you