New Year. New You?
Well, yes and no. You are will always be “you”. You’re not going to completely transform yourself because it’s a new year. That being said, it is a natural time for setting goals and change.
Many of us like to think of the process of personal growth as uncovering your true self or becoming more you. Simply put, it’s becoming your best self not becoming a completely new or different self. This mindset validates your strengths and acknowledges the wondrous person you already are. It reinforces that you are worthy and wonderful just as you are.
So, let’s get started. My prescription for better mental health….
- Treat yourself with kindness.
- Say “no” when you need to.
- Step out of your comfort zone.
- Don’t compare yourself to others.
- Embrace your mistakes, they don’t define you.
- Be truly present.
- Get outside.
- Cut yourself some slack.
- Make rest a priority.
- Make fun a priority, too.
- Savor good memories.
- Make new friends.
- Laugh often.
- Create something.
- Anticipate joy.
- Appreciate what you have.
- Learn from your mistakes.
- Write down your successes.
- Clear out physical and emotional clutter.
- Move your body more.
- Pursue a hobby.
- Put your phone down and connect with the people you’re with.
- Confide in trustworthy people.
- Treat your mental health with the same importance as your physical health.
- Slow down.
- Ask for help when you need it.
- You don’t have to do it all; Prioritize what matters most.
Some of these are pretty simple and others are really tough. Always remember our goal is “progress not perfection”. Making small changes works. You don’t have to do all of these or do them perfectly every day. Do your best. That’s all we can ask of ourselves.
Wishing you good mental health,
Rx image from FreeDigitalPhotos.net