Therapy and Counseling for Perfectionists in San Jose
Silicon Valley attracts the most creative, hard-working, and innovative people. My clients thrive on setting and achieving high goals. Perfectionism, however, can stand in the way. High standards are great. Unrealistic expectations and self-criticism are not!
Signs of Perfectionism include:
- Unrealistically high expectations of yourself and/or others
- Highly critical of yourself and/or others
- Feeling never satisfied
- Black and white thinking (I’m smart or I’m an idiot. I’m a success or a failure.)
- Fear of failure, embarrassment, criticism, rejection, abandonment
- Feeling never good enough
- Constantly needing to prove yourself
- Needing to please others
- Goal driven
- A need to win at any cost
- Being a workaholic
- Shying away from new challenges or anything that you’re not already good at
- A need to feel in control
- Difficulty coping with change, spontaneity, or things not going according to plan
Perfectionism (or a Type A personality) creates tremendous pressure and stress. It often shows up as physical health problems, insomnia, fatigue, and is associated with higher incidences of depression and anxiety. Perfectionism also makes it difficult to create deep connections with others because perfectionists only want to show the perfect aspects of themselves; they struggle to share their imperfections, struggles, and mistakes.
If you find perfectionism is bogging you down, paralyzing you from making decision or achieving your goals, negatively impacting relationships, stressing you out or fueling negative self-talk, give me a call. I provide counseling to overcome perfectionism so you can achieve your goals while bringing balance and happiness back into your life.
Are you ready to make lasting change?Make an Appointment